In the last decades, the cannabis scene is mostly dominated by strains that contain insane levels of THC. Although studies have shown its efficacy as an alternative treatment to many conditions, it is also responsible for the psychoactive traits. Disregarding issues on its legality, the fact that it causes the “high” is reason enough to inhibit many patients from taking advantage of its therapeutic benefits.
Recognizing the need for viable alternatives, the breeders of Homegrown Cannabis Co. have worked on developing mirror-opposites of modern CBD strains.
Medical Benefits of High CBD Strains
Using high CBD medical strains is not without merits - as shown by numerous studies. The same holds true for THC (although it is psychoactive).
Medical Benefits of THC:
- Low Appetite
- Muscle Spasticity
Medical Benefits of CBD:
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Psychosis or mental disorders
The efficacy of cannabis resides in its chemotype, of which CBD and THC are only two of many compounds working in synergy with each other. On note, too, is that the two primary compounds provide mostly different benefits. Patients should not mistake generalizing high CBD strains as “cannabis without the high” and expect benefits it could never provide.
CBD, like THC, binds with both CB1 and CB2. These are endocannabinoid system receptors affecting neurotransmitters sending messages throughout the body to maintain homeostasis. It appears that THC binds with CB1, found mostly in the part of the brain that controls critical functions including cognition, memory, motor, and pain. On the other hand, CBD interacts with CB2 found predominantly in the immune, gastrointestinal, and nervous systems as well as the brain. The mechanisms involved in these interactions remain vague. Even so, the positive benefits of CBD are evident in many studies conducted throughout the years.
For decades, activists advocated the legalization of cannabis, arguing that it has numerous medicinal uses. The campaign received a boost when the US FDA approved Epidiolex - an oil-based liquid formulation of CBD derived from Cannabis sativa. In particular, this drug is a treatment for seizures associated with Dravet syndrome (DS) and Lennox-Gastaut syndrome (LGS). Evidence of the efficacy of CBD can be found here and here.
One of the latest studies published in 2019 reveals:
- CBD can cut down major motor seizures by 50%, and total seizures by 44%.
- Of over 600 patients who participated in the study, most had a 50% reduction in seizures through 96 weeks.
The researchers concluded that add-on CBD could be a viable long-term treatment option for patients suffering from DS and LGS.
On its potential for pain relief, that is a fact that humans have known since ancient times. Science, however, is merely providing documented pieces of evidence relatively recently. For example, it is in this 2017 study that showed the efficacy of CBD in inhibiting pains and blocking acute inflammatory flares driving osteoarthritis. The following are merely two of many conditions that this beneficial compound could help alleviate.
In 2016, a study published in the European Journal of Pain investigated the efficacy of CBD in mitigating the symptoms of arthritis using rats. The dosages administered were 0.6, 3.1, 6.2, and 62.3 mg per day using CBD gels applied on affected joints. Highlights of this study showed:
- 6.2 mg per day was enough to reduce swelling and pain.
- 62.3 mg per day showed a similar result with 6.2 mg per day.
Although it requires human studies, the results give credence to anecdotal evidence suggesting CBD is effective in treating or mitigating pain.
The use of CBD with regards to cancer is on two fronts - one in treating the disease, the other in mitigating the symptoms. In either case, the research is in its infancy stage. A recent review published in the Bosnian Journal of Basic Medical Sciences aimed to raise the understanding of the anticancer effects of cannabis. Based on prevailing literature, it appears that cannabinoids could affect essential cellular processes and signaling pathways crucial to the development of tumor by targeting the endocannabinoid system. Thus, it could induce cell cycle arrest, promote apoptosis, and inhibit proliferation, migration, and angiogenesis in tumor cells. One study, in particular, has given much hope to the seemingly impossible task of stopping cancer once and for all. It involved combining the use of CBD and chemotherapy on mice with pancreatic cancer in which the survival rate is three times longer than without the use of CBD. It can be further affirmed by another study in which the data gathered showed CBD itself may better prevent the growth and induce death of cervical cancer cells. A more plausible use of CBD is as a means to mitigate the symptoms of the disease and side effects of chemotherapy which includes pain, vomiting, and loss of appetite.
Most Popular High CBD Seeds
Homegrown Cannabis Co. understands the needs of people growing medical cannabis at home. Hence, in developing these high CBD strains, the importance of other traits that make the overall experience positive was considered. These include the efficacy of the therapeutic effects, the reliability of the genetics, and superb growth patterns to make growing at home a fun experience.
One of the commonalities of these high CBD strains is that the level of cannabidiol might help reduce seizures. Another is that it is unlikely that any could cause severe adverse reactions such as anxiety or paranoia
- CBD Black Diesel Regular Seeds (THC: 8% CBD: 8%) Black Diesel is one of the most spectacular high-THC strain that has won numerous Cannabis Cup awards. In this remake, the introduction of a high CBD strain has resulted in this medical variety that boasts of 1:1 THC to CBD ratio. At these levels, the psychoactive traits are barely noticeable. However, that is not its purpose. Instead, it is to uplift the mood while putting the nerves and muscles at ease. On appearance, this plant features deep purple coloration. Indoors, the flowering time takes around 9 to 10 weeks in which it could develop up to 550 grams of flowers per square meter. Outdoors, up to an astonishing 1200 grams could be harvested in the first week of October.
- Auto CBD White Widow (THC: 5% CBD: 10%) White Widow is arguably the most popular strain for home growers. For one, it is well capable of delivering an energizing buzz followed by supreme relaxation. On ease of cultivation, not many could match its superior growing traits. In this remake, Homegrown Cannabis Co. infused auto-flowering genes and designed it to contain minimal THC while raising the CBD level, making it suitable for medicinal use without the high. On stature, it grows 60-150 cm tall, depending on the environment. Auto CBD White Widow does not rely on light cycles, starting to flower three weeks into the vegetative stage. After another 7 to 8 weeks, up to 450 grams of buds could be harvested, making it one of the most prolific autos in the world - and highly medicinal at that too. Outdoors, it produces up to 175 grams per plant.
- CBD ACDC Feminized Seeds (THC: 1% CBD: 18-20%) ACDC shot to fame by being one of the first following Cannatonic to feature high levels of Cannabidiol. Its most remarkable offering is a 1:20 THC to CBD ratio. Not only is it highly effective in alleviating stress, anxiety, inflammation, and chronic pain, but it is also potent enough to reduce episodes of seizures. Provided by Homegrown Cannabis Co. as feminized seeds, the turnout of females is well above 99%. As such, it minimizes or eliminates the risk of males showing up, causing accidental pollination. Once the flowering period starts, it takes up to 10 weeks to develop the flowers fully. After, the estimated yield is up to 650 grams per square meter. As an option, it can be cultivated outdoors in a sunny environment where it could produce up to 500 grams per plant.
- CBD Kush Fast Version Seeds (THC: 5% CBD: 10%) This strain is a collision between the incomparable legend OG Kush and the insanely potent Trainwreck. Not only does it exude a delightful lemony scent, but it can deliver devastating body high. Moreover, these potent effects are also highly effective in wiping out pains. CBD Kush, on the other hand, is a tapered down variety in which the psychoactive traits are virtually non-existent. At 1:2 ratio, it boasts of a generous 10% CBD. Even better, it is a photoperiod plant that completes the flowering phase in only 7 weeks after which the yield could be as high as 600 grams per square meter. Outdoors, it also performs well, able to provide up to 800 grams per plant.