CBD-infused products are the trendiest in the busy cannabis market today. Through these derivatives, gone are the days when harvesting the herb’s health benefits must come with a high. Moreover, the catalog abounds with excellent choices. One of the most popular are CBD vape oils, which is favored for fast pain relief.
Cannabis contains over a hundred of cannabinoids. However, Cannabidiol (CBD) is its primary health-giving chemical compound. Unlike Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), it comes without psychoactive properties. Therefore, it can be consumed without the fear of getting high.
There are still ongoing trials that study the scope of its health benefits. So far, CBD has been found to help with the following:
- Cancer treatment side effects
- Chronic inflammation
- Chronic stress
- Chronic pain
- Anxiety, depression, and other mental disorders
- Neurological disorders
- Cardiovascular disorders
- Diabetes prevention
- Sleep apnea
- Post-surgery recovery
One way to reap the benefits of Cannabidiol is through vaping. It makes ingesting CBD a lot simpler and, in some ways, stealthy. Although the compound can be consumed is so many other ways, vaporizing the liquid gold is highly favored for its brand of swift comfort. Indeed, when struggling with some health discomforts, waiting becomes the least ideal option.
Vaping is not the only method for consuming and taking advantage of the health benefits. Each approach, though, has a different bioavailability, which means the actual level of CBD received in the bloodstream varies. As shown in the table chart, although not without any drawbacks, inhaling the chemical compound poses some advantages over other means.
|Ingestion||Easy to use. Can be added to food and drinks.||Metabolism reduces CBD potency.||10%|
|Sublingual||Bypasses the digestive system. CBD is absorbed by mucous membranes and capillaries in the mouth.||Taste may be an issue.||35%|
|Injection||Sends CBD directly into the bloodstream.||Invasive. Requires a fresh syringe for every injection.||100%|
|Topical||Great for inflammations, skin ailments, and pain relief.||Almost never reaches the bloodstream. Allergic reactions may occur, depending on potency.||Extremely low|
|Inhalation||CBD enters the bloodstream through the lungs, providing almost instant effects.||Unpopular among non-smokers. May exacerbate preexisting lung problems.||56%|
1. Fast Absorption Rate
Vaping provides quick relief, which makes it ideal for anxiety or pain flare-ups. Instead of going through the digestive system as with the case of edibles, the CBD reaches the bloodstream through the lungs. Hence, once inhaled, the effects of Cannabidiol can be noticed almost immediately.
2. Higher Bioavailability
At around 56%, vaping has higher bioavailability compared to other methods of consumption. Therefore, through this approach, the body absorbs more CBD.
Vaping equipment and CBD vape juices are accessible in numerous online stores and dispensaries. Moreover, pen vaporizers are easy to carry and conveniently fit even in pockets.
Vaping is also ideal for staying discreet. As the apparatus looks precisely like ordinary vapes, it won’t invite unwanted attention. Plus, CBD vapor doesn’t give off the strong smell of cannabis.
1. Health Risks and Side Effects
Some CBD vape oils have toxic thinning agents to reduce the viscosity of the liquid. However, these substances may break down into carcinogenic compounds when placed in high temperatures.
Furthermore, over-inhaling CBD oils can cause coughing fits and nausea, which can exacerbate existing lung conditions. Side effects from over-inhalation may also include:
- Fatigue or low energy
- Low blood pressure
- Altered appetite
- Weight loss
Do note, however, that these side effects may not happen from consuming CBD by itself. Because certain medications and chemicals do not work well with it, consulting a doctor before taking it with other medicines is advised.
Researches established that CBD itself is not addictive. It can even be used for addiction treatments. However, as inhaling CBD is very convenient compared to other methods, dependency on its quick results is possible.
The key to prevent reliance is to treat it like a medicine, and only take it when needed and always in the proper dosage.
Using CBD Vape Oil
There are three types of equipment that are essential to use CBD vape oil: pens, tanks, and table-top vapes. The first two can be purchased pre-filled but is only for one-time use.
- Vape Pens. Vape pens are the cheapest out of all the options. However, the coil must be replaced when it burns out. Otherwise, it can transfer metal nanoparticles into the CBD chamber. CBD vape pens should only be used with pure CBD isolates. Impure CBD will leave residues on the coil, which will speed up oxidation.
- Vape Tanks. CBD vape tanks have refillable chambers that carry the vape juice. It often has customizable hardware and replaceable heating coils. For the latter to absorb the e-liquid, it is swathed with cotton, nylon, or silica wick.
- Table-Top Vaporizers. The sophisticated table-top vaporizer is best for enjoying the flavor and terpenes of the vape. It has a base with a temperature dial, allowing more control with the heat. For this device to work, it must be plugged to an electric socket. Hence, it lacks mobility and portability.
How To Make CBD Vape Oil
As with making all forms of CBD-infused products, concocting a Cannabidiol vape oil also requires a CBD base. The two most popular variants used are Full Spectrum and CBD Isolate.
1. Full Spectrum
A full spectrum oil is also called a “whole plant CBD” as it uses the entire hemp plant for extraction. Apart from Cannabidiol, the result also contain other cannabinoids such as CBDA, CBG, CBGA, CBC, CBCA, Δ9-THCA, Δ9-THC, Δ8-THC, and THCV. It also has a meager 0.3% THC and does not induce psychoactivity.
- Dried hemp plant
- Coffee machine
- Water distiller
- Two small bowls
- Two big bowls
- Strainer or sieve
- Plastic or glass spoon
- Coffee filters
- Alcohol (over 60% pure)
- Grind the dried hemp plant and place it into a big bowl, preferably glass or plastic.
- Pour equal parts of cooled alcohol into the bowl.
- Stir for 3 minutes using a plastic or glass spoon.
- Separate the alcohol from the hemp plant into another big bowl using a strainer or sieve. Let it sit until it no longer drips.
- Place the filter paper into a funnel and pour the liquid in. Use a small bowl to catch the liquid. Repeat until there is no visible plant material.
- Place the liquid into the water distiller and wait until the alcohol has been separated. The resulting liquid inside the distiller must be dark-colored.
- Pour the resulting liquid into a small glass bowl and place it on the heating element of the coffee maker. Let it sit for about 24 hours to make sure that there is no alcohol left in the liquid. The resulting liquid must be viscous and dark-colored.
- The liquid can be used directly for vaping, preferably for tank-types.
- It can also be mixed with other vape juices. However, the juice and the liquid must be heated for them to fuse efficiently.
2. CBD Isolate
CBD isolate comes in powder and crystal form. The process involves separating CBD from other cannabinoids in the cannabis plant, which results to an extremely high 99%+ CBD concentration.
Powder CBD isolate is ideal for making CBD vape oil. It can be mixed into a premade, zero-nicotine vape juice, or added to a DIY vape juice.
With Premade, Zero-Nicotine Vape Juice
- Amber, blue, or violet dropper bottle
- Zero-nicotine vape juice
- Powder CBD isolate
- Digital kitchen scale
- Heat the zero-nicotine vape juice in the microwave for a few seconds.
- Measure an amount of fine powder CBD isolate on the scale. Use 1 gram of isolate per 100 ml of zero-nicotine vape juice.
- Using a funnel, place the isolate into an amber, blue, or violet dropper bottle, and add the warm vape juice. The colored bottle serves as light protection.
- Shake the bottle until there is no visible CBD isolate in the mixture.
- If the liquid doesn’t mix well, place the bottle into a hot “water bath.” After 3 minutes, shake the bottle again and check for undissolved CBD isolate. Repeat as needed.
Note: It’s crucial to use zero-nicotine vape juice because there has been no extensive study about the effects of combining CBD and nicotine.
Using DIY Vape Juice
- Dropper bottle
- Vegetable glycerin (VG)
- Propylene glycol (PG)
- Powder CBD isolate
- Flavors (can be VG-based or PG-based)
- Digital kitchen scale
- Measure the ingredients by weight instead of volume as it’s easier to add.
Vegetable glycerin: 1mL = 1.26g
Propylene glycol: 1mL = 1.038g
VG-based flavor: 1mL = 1.26g
PG-based flavor: 1mL = 1.038g
- Using an online calculator like steam-engine.org/juice.html, enter the desired total amount of vape juice. Also, enter 70% vegetable glycerin, 30% propylene glycol, 0% nicotine, and desired percent of flavoring in the fields.
Note: The ideal ratio for VG and PG is 70-30
- The calculator will automatically show the amount of each ingredient needed based on the desired total amount of vape juice.
- Follow the result of the calculator and combine the VG, PG, and flavoring/s in the dropper bottle.
- Shake until all of the liquids have thoroughly mixed.
- Place the dropper bottle into a hot “water bath” for 3 minutes.
- Add 1 gram of powder CBD isolate per 100mL of vape juice into the dropper bottle.
- Shake until the isolate has fully dissolved.
Maximize The Benefits Of CBD Through Vaping
Cannabidiol is so compelling that even consumption methods with low bioavailability can provide numerous advantages. Having said that, there’s no need to settle when vaping shares a staggering 56%. Besides, if fast alleviation is needed, there’s truly no better way to go.