Smoking a joint is one of the most popular ways of consuming cannabis, so it’s vital to know how to choose the best rolling papers. Apart from being affordable, they are easy to use, inconspicuous, more flavorful, and a great way to socialize with your 420-friendly peers.
Join us to become an expert about it.
We’ll dive into the origins, advantages, and the most important aspects to consider when choosing a rolling paper brand. We’ll also give you a rundown of the top rolling papers with reliable recommendations on where to buy them.
Origins of rolling papers
When tobacco first appeared in the early 1500s, wealthy aristocrats smoked it with cigars made of palm and tobacco leaves. Peasants picked up their leftover butts and took them apart to reroll their own cigarettes.
Their chosen rolling paper brand was the local newspaper, which wasn’t the cleanest or healthiest option. As smoking became more popular, papermakers in Alcoy, Spain, uncovered a gap in the market and started creating white, clean–burning rolling paper. Smoking rolled cigarettes was cheap and convenient, so the rolling papers were an instant hit.
The history of joint paper begins with Alexandro Rizlette de Cramptone Lacroix. In 1532, he traded some champagne for a box of white rolling papers carried by a group of French soldiers on their way back from Spain. He was intrigued by the design and began creating his own rolling papers.
His family started producing this product in 1660 and formed a company called Lacroix Rolling Paper in 1736. They decided to include rice paper in the formula in 1865, leading to a new company name: RizLa+. This moniker combines the word riz, the French word for rice, and the shortened version of Lacroix, which is the French word for cross.
After patenting the gum application method to the edge of the rolling papers, RizLa+ became the most popular choice of joint paper. By 1990, it had infiltrated every corner of the globe, including Europe and the US. Nowadays, you can choose from dozens of different joint paper brands.
Advantages of rolling papers
Joint papers have existed for centuries, and they aren’t leaving anytime soon. Here are some of the benefits of smoking cannabis with rolling paper:
Marijuana buds are packed with various terpenes that emit unique tastes and smells. By using clean and organic rolling paper, you enhance the flavor of the weed and enjoy a heightened sensory experience.
Rolling paper brands come in different sizes that allow you to choose how much cannabis you want to consume. Stock up on a variety of options to have the right one for every occasion.
A joint closely resembles the appearance of a cigarette, so it’s easy to stay off the radar and blend in. If you used a bong, you’d have a harder time remaining inconspicuous. Smoking weed with joint paper keeps your activities private.
Most of the time, marijuana enthusiasts stick in packs. Rolling and smoking a joint is typically a social activity shared with friends. Get the best one and have a blast thinking of things to do while high with your canna-buddies.
High-quality rolling papers are budget-friendly. One pack usually contains at least 30 sheets, so it’ll last you a while without breaking the bank.
What to consider when choosing the best rolling papers for you
While you learn the art of mastering how to roll a joint, you’ll encounter a range of different rolling paper brands. Apart from the size, you can also choose what materials they’re made from to suit your personal preferences.
Here’s what to consider when choosing the best joint papers for you:
The ingredients determine the rolling difficulty, flavor, burn rate, and health impacts. Here are the most popular materials:
- Wood pulp: Most rolling papers are made from wood pulp, the same material used to make the first rolling papers in the early 1500s. Wood pulp joint papers are an excellent choice for beginners, as they’re relatively thick and easy to use. They burn fast but stay lit, emitting a strong wood pulp taste.
- Hemp: Thanks to industrialization, hemp papers are the latest trend in the cannabis community. They’re usually made from 100% natural hemp and have a moderate burn rate. Hemp papers are easy to use but have a powerful flavor that some smokers don’t like. They’re environmentally friendly and a health-conscious choice.
- Rice paper: These joint papers are made from processed rice and may contain additives like flax and sugar. Although these are the thinnest papers on the market, they can be challenging, so they’re more suited to experienced rollers. Rice papers are tasteless and allow you to savor the true flavors of marijuana. They burn slowly but may need to be re-lit as they go out easily.
- Flax: These weed papers are made from flax plant fiber. They’re easy to use and have a smooth texture. Flax papers don’t alter the cannabis flavor and have a moderate burn rate.
- Clear: These joint papers are more of an aesthetic choice, as they give you a transparent view of your crushed buds. They’re made from plant-based cellulose and are 100% organic. Clear it retain the taste of weed but can be challenging to roll.
- Other: If you want to try out some fun options, check out flavored papers or use 24K gold joint rolling papers made from hemp and edible gold.
If you regularly smoke different quantities of bud, you’ll need a variety of size options in your stash. Here are the commonly available sizes of the best rolling papers:
- Single wide: These are the smallest size papers you can get, with a length of 68–70 mm and a width of 34–36mm. They’re typically rolled without a filter and are used by smokers who are after a few quick puffs. If you’re a novice roller, you might find it challenging to roll a joint with these tiny papers.
- 1–1/4″: A standard size joint paper has a length of 76–78 mm and a width of 45–48 mm. This size is most commonly used by cannabis smokers, as it’s not too big or too small. A maximum of three people can share a joint of this size.
- 1–1/2”: These rolling papers have a length of 76–78 mm and a width of 60–62mm. These joints can almost fit double the amount of cannabis of a single paper and can be shared by up to four people.
- Double wide: These joint papers are twice the size of a single and are the widest option available at 76–78 mm in length and a width of 63–88mm. They’re ideal for large group sessions and require a skilled hand to make a tight joint.
- King: These weed papers have a length of 100–110mm and a width of 55–60mm. They can hold plenty of buds and have great ventilation. Choose the slim king option for easier handling.
5 best rolling paper brands
Now that you know how to distinguish the high-quality papers from the low-quality ones, let’s check out the five best rolling papers on the market:
1. Raw Rolling Papers
Raw has been on the cannabis scene for over 20 years. This company is widely recognized for producing some of the best rolling papers for joints. Its papers are made from 100% natural ingredients and are easy on the lungs and the environment.
Raw joint papers are slightly thicker than usual and make rolling a breeze for beginners. They also contain a unique criss-cross watermark that encourages the joint to burn more slowly and evenly. These joint papers are affordable and a go-to for regular marijuana tokers.
2. Elements Rolling Papers
Elements is a respected and reputable company in the rolling paper industry. It produces super-thin rice papers from all-natural ingredients. These joint papers don’t contain any harsh chemicals and emit a distinct caramel flavor as they burn.
Due to their thin texture, these papers aren’t recommended for beginner rollers. They crease easily and can result in an uneven burn. If you know what you’re doing, you’ll love the smooth and organic toke from Elements.
3. Zig Zag Rolling Papers
Zig Zag is one of the most readily available and easily recognized rolling paper brands. These papers are budget-friendly and come in a wide variety of sizes. Its White Single Wide pack is arguably the most popular choice.
These papers offer a slow burn and are typically produced from plant fibers, hemp, or flax. Although they’re relatively thin, they’re not difficult to roll. If you want a reliable brand that doesn’t disappoint, Zig Zag is it.
4. Bob Marley Rolling Papers
The Bob Marley Foundation gave these weed papers the official stamp of approval, making them a must-have in every marijuana smoker’s stash. They’re made from high-quality 100% hemp pulp and promise a slow burn without any aftertaste.
These papers are special. Every pack you purchase comes with different Bob Marley quotes and reminds you of the love, dedication, and care he carried for cannabis legalization.
5. Shine 24K Gold Rolling Papers
If you’re feeling spontaneous and have some extra cash to spare, check out the Shine 24K Gold Rolling Papers. These joint papers are made from a combination of edible gold and hemp. Every pack is handmade and comes with a certificate of authenticity.
These papers burn slowly and offer a super smooth toke. They come in various sizes and are ideal for a celebratory toke. We recommend some joint rolling experience before tackling this luxury.
Where to buy joint paper
Unlike cannabis, rolling papers are fully legal in every state, which means you can purchase them from dozens of different retailers.
Your local brick-and-mortar tobacco and cannabis establishments likely have stock of common rolling paper brands. However, you can choose from a wider selection of high-quality papers online. If you want to get your hands on the best rolling papers, we recommend selecting a reputable brand and ordering directly from their online store.
It can be challenging to choose between the different types of rolling paper if it’s your first time smoking weed. For some clarity, check out our answers to the most frequently asked questions about the best rolling papers in various categories:
What rolling papers are easiest to roll?
Thicker papers are easy to roll, but make sure they’re made from hemp, wood pulp, or flax. Although rice paper is an excellent choice, it can be slippery and tough to handle for newbies.
Which rolling paper is better, brown or white?
If you want the healthiest option, pick a brown one. Opt for white if you don’t mind the added chemicals and are only after a guaranteed slow burn or a specifically flavored toke.
White joint paper, like wood pulp, typically contains chemicals like calcium carbonate or chlorine, which results in a slower burn. Flavored paper also has unnatural substances that give it that unique taste. Brown papers are made with natural ingredients and don’t have any added synthetic flavorings.
What are the healthiest rolling papers?
As mentioned, the best rolling papers for the health-conscious smoker are brown. These papers are unbleached, chemical-free, and made from products found in nature. Choose from hemp, flax, or natural wood pulp papers.
What are the slowest burning rolling papers?
If you want to learn how to blow smoke rings, you’ll need the slowest burning papers possible. Hemp papers are environmentally-friendly and slow to burn, but some tokers dislike the strong flavor. If you can’t handle the taste, opt for rice or flax paper.
The lowdown on choosing the best rolling paper
Although smoking a joint can be a social activity, it’s also a deeply personal experience. The best rolling papers are based on individual preferences, like the taste, burn time, thinness, and ingredients. If you’re yet to find your favorite rolling paper brand, why not start with our top five recommendations?
If you want to grow some incredible weed plants, don’t forget to buy your marijuana seeds from Homegrown Cannabis Co.