If you’ve ever watched a stoner movie, chances are you’ve seen a character who can’t get enough stoner food. A person smokes a joint then sinks into the couch with utter contentment. Next thing you know, they’re raiding the fridge and pantry for the best high snacks. Now they’re sitting with a mountain of food in front of them, overindulging to their heart’s delight.
How accurate is this representation? Well, have you ever experienced the munchies before? If so, you know the magic feeling that comes with eating your favorite high snacks at the peak of your trip.
What causes the munchies, and what are the best choices for food when you’re high?
Keep reading for an in-depth look at the reasons you get hungry when you’re high. You’ll also discover which stoner foods to add to your grocery bag the next time you go shopping.
Is your stomach growling already? Let’s jump right in!
Why does weed cause the munchies?
There are many stoner stereotypes regarding marijuana and, more specifically, people who smoke marijuana. Some people perceive cannabis users as lazy, unhealthy, and gluttonous. The truth is most cannabis users eat the best high foods that are healthy and nutritious. When used as intended, marijuana contributes to a healthier lifestyle.
Some famous artists and musicians use marijuana to fuel their creative side, and they never go empty-handed. They have their favorite high snacks handy to fuel their brain.
Cannabis has steadily become one of the most popular plants in the world. It contains over a hundred cannabinoids, the most important being THC. THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) is the compound responsible for the psychoactive effects you get from smoking marijuana. For more information, read about what THC does to the brain and the body.
THC interacts with receptors in your brain and nervous system to produce various effects. It’s also the reason you find yourself reaching for your favorite stoner food.
There are seven stages of being high. Stage 5 is when munchies occur due to THC interacting with the hormone ghrelin. Ghrelin is important for survival, as it informs you when you need to eat. When it meets THC, it sends signals to your body, telling you to grab those high snacks.
These signals occur whether you’re hungry or not. That’s why, even if you’ve just eaten dinner before toking up, you often feel hungry again.
When you consume THC, it heightens your senses, giving you the ability to taste and smell food far more acutely. This is why you eat more when high and why those stoner foods smell and taste so good!
So, which cannabis strains are likely to induce munchies, and which ones aren’t?
Cannabis strains likely to cause hunger pangs
When you buy cannabis seeds, you most likely look at the THC content and which strains produce the best effects. But what about the strains that cause you to crave stoner food?
In most cases, higher THC and low CBD levels cause munchies. This differs widely, though. Some mid-range and even low-range THC cultivars can stimulate appetite, so try experimenting.
Remember to plan! Most of us don’t like to cook stoner food when we’re neck-deep in the waters of a smoking session.
Prepare your food and snacks before you partake in the good herb. That way, you barely need much effort to reach out for the best high snacks while you’re floating on cloud nine.
Worst of all, you don’t want to be stuck with an empty cupboard or fridge. Stock up your kitchen and ensure you have everything you know you’ll be craving when you’re high.
Below is a list of strains known to send you raiding the pantry for the best high snacks:
- Afghan Kush feminized: A highlygratifying and sweet-smelling cultivar that uplifts you and leaves you feeling relaxed and euphoric. It contains 16–21% THC and gives you yields of 15–18 oz./㎡ indoors and 15–21 oz. per plant outdoors.
- Lavender feminized: Experience the winner of the Best Indica from the 2005 High Times Cannabis Cup. Lighting up a joint fills you with a full-bodied soothing sensation and carries you on clouds of euphoria. Harvest 14–19 oz./㎡ of fresh lavender-flavored buds indoors and 14–21 oz. per plant outdoors. THC levels range from 15–19%.
- Critical Kush feminized: Say goodbye to negative energy and enjoy a peaceful sleep with this nighttime companion. It rewards you with yields of 17–19 oz./㎡ indoors and 17–19 oz. per plant outdoors, and contains 19–25% THC.
- Jack Herer feminized: Cultivation is a breeze with these cannabis seeds. They produce 17–21 oz./㎡ of aromatic buds inside and up to 25 oz. per plant outside. They contain 15–19% THC and help ignite your creative side, giving you energy and focus for any occasion.
- Mazar autoflower: Don’t be fooled by the low THC levels of 9–10%. Mazar isthe perfect strain to help build up your tolerance, and it alleviates insomnia and stress. Cultivation doesn’t require a photoperiod, and the plants flower quickly. They give you a harvest of 14–18 oz./㎡ indoors and 2–7 oz. per plant outdoors.
Marijuana strains less likely to cause hunger
Munchies are a fun experience for some, but they may be a source of anxiety for others, especially if you’re watching your weight.
Luckily, not all cannabis strains give you the overwhelming desire to binge on stoner food. Studies have shown that certain cultivars with higher CBD levels can even suppress appetite.
Strains with the cannabinoid THCV (tetrahydrocannabivarin) guarantee appetite suppression but are hard to come by. We’ve rounded up four strains with high THCV to save you from indulging in high snacks.
Choose the best one based on their effects, THC and CBD content, and yields:
- Power Plant feminized: This sativa-dominant plant of power leaves youfeeling blissful, clear-headed, and sociable. It contains 13–21% THC and 0.3% CBD. If you grow inside, you get 19–21 oz./㎡, and outside, up to 28 oz. per plant.
- Moby Dick feminized: Unleash the whale in an ocean of energetic waves with soaring cerebral highs. Watch in awe as the seeds grow into mammoth plants with potent buds containing 24–27%THC and 1% CBD. Expect harvests of around 23 oz./㎡ indoors and a whopping 53 oz. per plant outdoors.
- CBD AC/DC feminized: Crank up the wellness factor with this CBD-rich cultivar. It contains low THC levels of 0.8–1% and higher CBD levels of 16–18%. Smoking the buds relieves pain and helps you feel calm and focused. Indoor and outdoor growth gives you 17–18 oz./㎡ and 17–18 oz. per plant, respectively.
- CBD Tangie feminized: With less than 1% THC and higher levels of 13–15% CBD, this zesty tangerine beauty offers a wide range of wellness benefits. It clears your head and helps you feel positive, focused, and productive. It rewards you with up to 16 oz./㎡ indoors and up to 18 oz. per plant outdoors.
If you experience adverse effects from marijuana, hydration and food are key! Drinking a glass of water and snacking on some light stoner foods will help mellow you out.
Always use cannabis in moderation and abide by the laws of your state. If you’re a newbie, stick to lower doses of low THC strains and build up from there.
Best stoner food to eat while high
Now that you’ve stocked up on your favorite plant, it’s time to plan and collect the best high foods. Some people have different dietary requirements, so find the food that best suits you. We gathered some favorites and included them below.
It’s always fun to play around with recipes and change the ingredients to accommodate possible restrictions. The best food to eat when high is rich, tasty, and nutritious.
Try each of these options below. Just a few bites, and you’ll be grinning from ear to ear, rubbing your belly with satisfaction.
It ’s the most popular food for a reason. Pizza contains a highly appetizing mixture of sweet and fatty ingredients. The reason it’s the best food to eat while high is because of the wide range of toppings you can add. Whether you’re a vegan or a carnivore, you can add anything to pizza, and it’s like heaven in your mouth.
Order a fully-stacked pizza from your favorite pizza place, or try making your own at home. Excellent stoner food ideas include adding tomatoes, sausages, pepperoni, and, most importantly, lots and lots of cheese!
These toppings contain glutamate, which excites our brain and causes us to salivate for the next bite. Adding them to your pizza significantly increases the pleasure factor.
Mmm, bacon! It’s one of the best high foods out there. There’s nothing like waking up on a Sunday morning, smoking a joint, then indulging in some crispy bacon.
To make it more exciting, why not try making bacon wraps? Cut up your favorite cheese, then cut strips of bacon to wrap around the cheese. Pop these stoner food combinations in a frying pan and cook for about two minutes aside.
Once you’ve cooked the bacon, you’ve got a melt-in-your-mouth delicacy guaranteed to have you reaching for more.
Baked Zucchini fries
For a healthier option that’s just as tasty and crispy as regular fries, try baking Zucchini. This is one of the best stoner foods because it’s versatile and nutritious.
You can use Zucchinis in almost any dish, and they nourish your body. They contain high levels of nutrients, antioxidants, and more.
To make Zucchini fries:
- Crack an egg and pour it into a bowl, beating it lightly.
- Cut the Zucchini into strips and dip them into the egg to coat.
- Sprinkle the strips with cheese, then lay them on a baking tray.
- Pop them in the oven at 425℉ for 25–30 minutes, flipping them halfway through.
Cauliflower buffalo wings
Among the healthier stoner food ideas are cauliflower buffalo wings, an alternative to buffalo chicken wings.
- Cut cauliflower into bite-sized pieces.
- Lightly coat the pieces in a mixture of olive oil, salt, and spices (Garlic powder is best).
- Place them on a baking tray and pop them in the oven at 450℉ for 10–15 minutes until they’re as tender as you’d like your stoner food to be.
- Remove from the oven, then dip the cauliflower pieces in a melted butter mixture and a sauce of your choice.
- Cook them for a further five minutes.
Must-have snacks for stoners
What would munchies be without your favorite snacks? Marijuana tends to hone in on that sweet tooth and have you craving sugary treats.
We’ve rounded up the best high snacks to get your hands on when those cravings hit.
Yes, chocolate is the number one tasty treat for stoners. On its own,chocolate contains the anandamide chemical, making you feel good.
Add that to the feel-good effects of THC, and you’re in for a heavenly experience. It’s one of the best stoner snacks you can have, plus dark chocolate contains extra antioxidants that are good for you!
If you’re feeling adventurous, try your hand at baking chocolate weed brownies. Decarboxylate your cannabis and add it to your brownie mix to make the perfect edible.
The perfect creamy dessert to finish off your hearty meal. The best snacks when high are those you can easily access and give you extra pleasure.
Before your next smoking session, pop by the market to buy your favorite ice cream. It comes in many wonderful flavors and complements your high perfectly.
Apple & Cinnamon chips
Salty potato chips are a favorite munchie choice, but for the healthier option, try cinnamon apple chips:
- Set your oven to 200℉.
- Cut four apples into ⅛–¼ inch slices, then pour them into a large bowl.
- Sprinkle the apple slices with cinnamon. Add extra sugar if you want.
- Place your stoner food apple slices flat on an oil-sprayed cooking pan, ensuring they’re not overlapping.
- Pop the tray in the oven and leave it for 2–3 hours. The apple slices will turn out dry and soft.
- Eat them within four days, storing them in an airtight container. Enjoy!
Frozen fruit & yogurt lollies
Looking for good high snacks you can enjoy guilt-free on a hot day? Try frozen fruit yogurt lollies by following the method below:
- Yogurt (Use any yogurt you like, the healthier, the better).
- Fresh fruit, diced (Pick your favorite fruits like berries, pineapple, or mango).
- Popsicle sticks and a popsicle mold (You can find them at your local market). A silicone mold tray with several holes works best.
- Your imagination! Experiment with different flavors and fruits to make delicious stoner food creations.
- Fill the mold with your diced pieces of fruit. Mix the fruit if you like, or place them separately in each hole.
- Use a spoon to cover the fruit with yogurt, filling the holes.
- Place the mold in the freezer for about half an hour.
- Take the mold out and insert the popsicle sticks upright into each hole.
- Pop the mold back in the freezer and wait a few hours until the lollies are frozen.
- Voila! Now you’ve got the best high snacks waiting for you in the freezer once you’ve toked up on your favorite cannabis strain.
Cannabis edibles are fun to make and enhance the experience of consuming cannabis. There are many different edibles you can make, so have fun!
The effects you get from eating edible stoner food tend to be much stronger compared to smoking cannabis. The effects take longer to kick in, too, so be patient.
If it’s your first time eating edibles, eat a little bit first to see how it affects you. Then adjust how much you eat according to personal tolerance.
Most importantly, enjoy combining your two favorite pastimes: eating stoner foods and consuming marijuana!
Eat stoner food and be merry!
THC is a wondrous compound that ignites a legion of exciting feelings in the mind and body. It enhances the passions of food lovers, artists, writers, and pioneers.
If you’re passionate about food, THC elevates that passion and gives you pure joy at the thought of stoner food. Food that already tastes good tastes even better when you’re high.
There are thousands, if not millions, of different food ideas out there. The joys of humanity don’t stop, and nature caters to everyone’s needs.
Many cannabis strains unlock the creative side of our minds, so give in to the feeling and go wild. You may enjoy cooking and baking so much that you write your own book of stoner food recipes!
Stay up to date on our blog and subscribe to our Homegrown newsletter for all your cannabis needs. Next time you go shopping, check out our store. Take your pick from the strains in this article or order from our wide selection of top-shelf seeds.
Within a few weeks, your harvest will be ready for your pleasure. Crush your buds, roll a joint, light up, and enjoy. Then when you’re at the peak, eat stoner food and be merry!
About the author: Derek LaRose
Also known as Kronic from The Cannabis Kronicles, Derek LaRose is a young ambitious cultivator and a staple educator for indoor cultivation.