Is it Legal to Grow Marijuana?
When it comes to marijuana growing laws, at a federal level in the United States, cannabis cultivation is still very much illegal, however, there are a number of states which have legalized or decriminalized cannabis home growing.
How to Grow Marijuana Legally
Before growing your own marijuana, you’ll need to know a bit about the laws on growing weed and how it applies to you. But listen carefully: I’ll be talking only about the laws in the great state of California. If you plan to grow outside California there’s a good chance you have to play by a different set of rules. Laws are not universal.
States where Growing Weed is Legal at Home
All of the states listed below are classed as legal grow states, however, as with most laws pertaining to alcohol, to grow your own marijuana legally you must be over the age of 21. Note, that these are only the states where you can legally cultivate cannabis at home and there are some states that allow companies and agricultural organizations to cultivate cannabis.
- Arizona – for medical purposes only
- Hawaii – for medical purposes only
- Missouri – for medical purposes only
- Montana – for medical purposes only
- New Mexico
- Oklahoma – for medical purposes only
- Rhode Island- for medical purposes only
- Washington – for medical purposes only
- West Virginia
A deeper understanding of cannabis laws
Thanks to Proposition 64, the law permits you to grow your own weed seeds at home, plus the law allows you to keep and share the entire harvest with your adult friends. Not only can you grow your own with Kyle Kushman, but you can also grow it legally and safely.
There are some important rules to follow:
- Californian residents have to be at least 21 years old to grow their own cannabis.
- Medical patients can grow a total of 24 plants if justified by their doctor.
- Recreational users may only have 6 plants growing at any one time, making it nearly impossible to be self-sufficient. This is 6 plants per household, not per resident. Thankfully, if you think 6 plants isn’t enough, think again. There are strains like Critical Mass, Power Plant, Moby Dick… huge, heavy yielding beasts. I’ll show you how to get the most from even your favorite low-yielding plants.
Another word of warning. You might be lucky enough to have a nice garden where passers-by can see the flowery fruits of your labor, but don’t plant your cannabis here. Your plants need to be indoor or fully out of sight. They also need to be locked up and secure. Imagine if your neighbor’s kids got into your garden and took some of your crop home. Imagine your neighbor is a cop, or worse, a lawyer. I think you get the picture. It’s legal to grow, but do it responsibly and do not break the law.
In the next video, we’ll take a look at what equipment you need to grow your own marijuana like a master.
See you soon!