How to Make Weed Gummies: Easy Step-by-step
Do you have a sweet tooth? Do you often raid the cupboard for dessert foods when hunger hits? If these statements resonate with you, you’ll be delighted to learn how to make weed gummies in your kitchen.
A gummy is the perfect blend of an edible and a sweet treat that’ll have your taste buds bursting with flavor. They’re easy to make and serve as exciting hors d’oeuvres at your 420-themed party.
Keep reading to learn everything you need to know about these delightful treats. We’ll discuss strain-picking techniques, how to nail edible dosing, teach you how to make THC gummies step by simple step.
What are gummy bear edibles?
There are many creative ways to ingest marijuana. People have experimented with many different edibles, and there are some exciting, grandiose ideas out there.
One of the more fun edibles to make and consume are THC gummy bears. They look like regular candy-store gummies, except you’ll infuse them with marijuana. This process creates a treat that’ll make you feel like a kid in a whole new sense.
You may have seen gummies for sale at your local dispensary but were shocked at the prices. In some states, they may not even be available for sale. Now’s your chance to bypass this hurdle and learn how to make weed gummies at home.
The best thing about making gummies this way is that you can choose your flavors and dosage. You’re also aware of exactly what goes in your edible.
What are the effects of gummy weed edibles?
The effects of gummy edibles depend on what weed you use when deciding how to make weed gummies. Let’s look at the difference between your two main options, sativa gummies and indica gummies.
Sativa gummy effects
Sativa is well known for its cerebral effects, giving users an energizing head high. These cannabis plants help reduce certain mental symptoms such as stress and anxiety and enhance focus and creativity.
When you eat sativa gummies, you’ll soon feel a rush of productivity and energy. Artists and creative minds will enjoy a boost in creativity and find themselves motivated to finish a project or task.
The effects are stimulating, so it’s perfect as a kick-start to a long and productive day. Any anxious or stressful feelings will melt away as sativa gummies fill you with blissful exhilaration.
If you eat them before going out to a party, they’ll get you in the mood and keep you dancing and having fun for hours.
Indica gummies effects
Indica is the more laid-back variety of weed. It produces a full-body high and coaxes you into a state of relaxation.
Eating indica gummies will have you floating in a state of tranquility, easing any physical pain and helping you sleep better.
Indica strains typically have higher CBD levels, too, so the therapeutic benefits are abundant.
Indica gummies help you unwind and relieve feelings of anxiety or overwhelming stress. If you’re feeling tense, eating these treats is the perfect way to soothe your muscles and nerves. It also reduces potential nausea and stimulates your appetite.
Why make marijuana gummy bears?
Smoking weed is probably the easiest means of consuming your cannabis. After a while, though, you may be curious to try and sweeten your experience. Edibles are the perfect route to take.
With so many ingestion methods available around, why learn how to make weed gummies?
Ditch the smoking paraphernalia and dip your hands into the cannabis candy jar for a sweet, convenient treat. Edibles give you an entirely new experience that’ll make you wonder why you’ve never tried them before.
Not only do they save you the small hassles that come with smoking, butTHC gummy bears also envelop your body with long-lasting effects.
Ready to sweeten your marijuana life? Let’s start cooking!
Making THC gummies: What do you need?
Now that you know more about these sweet treats, let’s gather the tools and ingredients before diving into how to make weed gummies.
When it comes to equipment, all you need is the following:
- Saucepan or pot
- Baking whisk
- Silicone gummy molds in the shape you want—bears or worms are popular options
- A syringe, spouted container, or plastic sandwich bag as a pouring device
- Cooking spray (non-stick)
These are the ingredients for your THC gummies:
- 3 oz. box of pre-packaged Gelatin/Jell-O dessert (pick one flavor or combine your favorites)
- 2½ tbsp of unflavored gelatin powder (or 7½ sheets of gelatin)
- ½ cup of cold water
- ¼ cup of corn syrup
- ¼ cup of cannabis-infused coconut oil (easiest oil to work with)
- 2 tsp of sunflower lecithin or soy lecithin
How to make THC gummies from full colas instead of pre-made oils? It’s important to decarboxylate your buds firstto activate their cannabinoids. Don’t worry, though. It’s much more straightforward than it might sound.
Here’s how to make the cannabis-infused coconut oil for your THC gummy bears:
- Take your desired amount of cannabis and grind it. Make sure it’s not too fine or powdery.
- Combine a cup of coconut oil and your ground cannabis in a saucepan, slow cooker, or double-boiler. Warm it for a few hours on low heat.
Note: Heating times vary. It takes 2–3 hours in a saucepan, 4–6 hours in a slow cooker, and 6–8 hours in a double-boiler.
- Stir your mix occasionally. Ensure that the oil temperature doesn’t rise above 245°F.
- Pour your oil through a strainer into a new container and leave it to cool.
For oven decarboxylation, refer to the ‘how to make edible gummies with cannabutter’ section further below.
How to make weed gummies: Step-by-step
There are different ways to make weed gummies. We’re going to cover our two favorite methods below.
How to make THC gummies
Wondering how to make THC gummies? The basic process is simple. Just gather everything listed above and follow these instructions:
- Prepare the gelatin. With gelatin powder, pour the dessert and powder in water. Let it float there for at least five minutes. If you’re using gelatin sheets, soak them for about 10 minutes until they become granular.
- Prepare the mixture for your THC gummies. Combine the gelatin and water with ¼ cup of corn syrup in a saucepan or pot. Heat on medium-low until it starts to simmer.
- As your mixture heats up, whisk it gently. Make sure that it doesn’t start boiling. If white foam starts forming on top, reduce the heat slightly and skim the foam off.
- Once your THC gummy bears (or worms, etc.) mixture melts and combines, it’ll become smoother. Remove it from the heat and set it down to cool.
- Pour the cannabis-infused coconut oil and sunflower/soy lecithin and stir so that everything combines.
- Thoroughly spray the silicone molds with cooking spray. You can set the molds onto baking trays that are parchment-paper-lined for easier removal later.
- Now that you’ve prepared the molds for your THC gummies, you can pour the mixture in. Use the spouted container or syringe to spread the mixture evenly. You can even cut an edge off a sandwich bag to make a piping bag.
- Once you’ve filled the molds with the mixture, place them in a refrigerator for at least an hour. Don’t put them in the freezer.
- The last step for how to make THC gummies is to remove your molds from the refrigerator. Gently remove the gummies and spread them out on some parchment paper. Leave them to dry.
Depending on your location, your gummies can take a while to dry. You can place them in front of a fan for quicker drying.
Make sure your THC gummies are completely dry before storing them to prevent mold. You can keep them in the refrigerator or outside, but remember that they’ll last longer in colder environments.
How to make edible gummies with cannabutter
The next method we’re teaching you is how to make edible gummies with cannabutter.
Instead of using cannabis-infused coconut oil, you’ll make your gummies with homemade cannabutter by following the instructions below:
- First, decarb your weed. Set your oven to 245°F and set your marijuana buds on a non-stick oven tray covered with parchment paper. Place the tray into the oven and leave it for 30–40 minutes, lightly shaking the tray every 10 minutes.
- The second step in how to make edible gummies with cannabutter is to coarsely grind your decarboxylated weed using a hand grinder.
- Pour a cup of water and a cup of butter into a saucepan or pot. Place it on low heat and let it simmer until the butter starts to melt.
- Once the butter has started melting, add your weed and mix it gently.
- Let the cannabutter for your THC gummies simmer for 2–3 hours and stir occasionally. Don’t let the mixture boil.
- Remove the pot or saucepan and let the butter cool.
- Cover a funnel with a cheesecloth and place it on top of a jar. Pour the cooled butter on the cheesecloth so that it strains freely through the funnel.
- Place your jar of cannabutter for your THC gummy bears in a refrigerator. After about an hour, excess water may form at the bottom of the jar. You can drain the water by removing the solid butter with a knife.
Now that you’ve made your cannabutter, follow the instructions in the previous section, and voila! You now know how to make edible gummies with cannabutter.
How many THC gummy bears should you eat?
To determine how many gummies you can eat, you need to consider the following:
- Your tolerance
- Your experience consuming edibles (if ever)
- The THC content of the weed you used in your gummies.
The THC gummy bears that you made may be quite potent, so it’s best to start slow when eating them the first time. Err on the side of caution and take a bite of a half, or even quarter, of your gummy.
Remember that edibles take longer to kick in. Once you know how many THC gummies you can eat, you’ll be able to eat the same amount each time. You can even eat more if you want, but be careful not to overindulge.
Even if you feel nothing after an hour, be patient. If you have a full stomach or slower metabolism, the effects of THC gummy bears may take longer to get to your head and body.
Wait at least two or three hours before you decide to eat more. The effects might hit you when you least expect them.
How long do the edible gummies high last?
Now that you’ve learned how to make weed gummies and are starting to feel the effects, you must wonder—how long will the high last? On average, the effects of consuming edibles can last six to eight hours.
Each person is different, with some people reporting feeling the effects for up to 12 hours. If you have a high tolerance and eat THC gummy bears, the effects may last about four hours.
These tasty treats are guaranteed to give you a long-lasting buzz, so chew one, sit back, and wait for the adventure!
How to store gummy edibles
Once you’ve successfully pulled off the method of how to make weed gummies, it’s time to store them.
You can store cannabis edibles for a long time under the right conditions. They stay fresh for longer in the refrigerator than at room temperature.
You can use silicone containers for short-term storage. For long-term safekeeping, wrap your THC gummies in parchment paper, then place them in an airtight container or glass/mason jar. These keep your weed treats fresh for weeks.
Gummy bears: Best strains to use
Choosing which strain to use in your edibles depends on the effects you desire.
For an energetic, creative boost, use a sativa strain. Sour Diesel feminized and Bruce Banner autoflower are fantastic, potent choices to make sativa gummies.
If you prefer a relaxing, mellow experience, use an indica strain. Get your hands on Northern Lights feminized or Girl Scout Cookies autoflower for a serene, laid-back high after making indica gummies.
For the best of both worlds, treat yourself to the balanced hybrid White Widow feminized.
There are plenty of strains out there, so use your favorite one!
Treat yourself with homemade weed gummies
Gummies aren’t just for kids anymore. You can take a trip to candy land regardless of how old you are.
These delightful treats brimming with gooey goodness are easy to make at home. Once you know how to make weed gummies, your local candy store (and edible dispensary) may never see you again.
Now that you know the steps, you’re ready to take this new adventure. Browse our selection of cannabis seeds and start making your trademark THC gummies.