What are Autoflower Seeds?
Autoflower seeds produce a very different cannabis plant than photoperiod seeds. Photoperiod cannabis plants will only flower if they receive certain hours of light.
Plants grown with auto flower seeds do not rely on a light schedule. They will usually start flowering within 3 - 4 weeks of germination.
Why Grow With Autoflowering Weed Seeds?
Compared to regular, feminized and fast version seeds, autoflowering cannabis seeds have many advantages.
- Beginner-friendly. Autoflower plants won’t tolerate much stress or injury but they grow fast enough to lower the chances of anything catastrophic.
- Small and discreet. Autoflowering plants rarely grow taller than 3 feet and can easily fit inside grow cabinets and other tight spaces. A more discreet option for private cannabis growers.
- Lower THC content. Autoflower cannabis plants have lower average THC levels. Don’t worry! This is a generality, scroll down to see our top high-THC autoflowering strains. The gentler psychoactive effects of autos suit those with low THC tolerance.
- Autoflowering plants CAN produce high yields. Auto-flowering plants don’t yield as much per-plant as your average photoperiod cannabis plant. The advantage lies in the speed. An auto will produce multiple yearly harvests, often outperforming photoperiod plants over a season.
How much yield can you get from auto flower seeds?
Your autoflower yields depend on the timing of your harvest and the autoflowering genetics of your plant. Indica heavy auto flowers tend to produce smaller yields than sativa heavy autos.
Sativa-dominant autos are also known as super autos. Traditionally, super-autos can deliver 2 to 4 times bigger yields than standard autoflower plants.
The cannabis research of our breeders and those of other weed seed banks moves at breakneck speed. When trying to gauge how much yield you will get from your auto you need to think long term.
Autoflower seeds deliver multiple yearly harvests.
A case in point: Homegrown Cannabis Co. stocks two versions of Amnesia Kush. You can buy Amnesia Kush Feminized marijuana seeds which produce up to 28 ounces per plant. Or you can choose Amnesia Kush Autoflower marijuana seeds which yield anything up to 12 ounces per plant.
With the photoperiod Amnesia Kush your top yearly yield is 28 ounces. A good yield, no question. But with three harvests of the auto version in the same year your overall yield could be a whopping 36 ounces.
Related article: All-year harvests with autoflowering cannabis strains.
Multiple harvests, multiple throws of the dice.
With three cannabis grows in the same season you can improve your technique, adjust the nutes and perfect the environment. With a single yearly harvest all of your eggs will be in one basket. As will any mistakes.
How To Grow Autoflowering Seeds?
There is no need to think about the light schedule (photoperiod) when growing autoflower strains. One schedule and one lamp is enough for the entire growth cycle.
The most popular light schedule is 18/6 (18 hours light and 6 hours dark). You can push this to 24 hours without harming the plant or productivity although the electricity bill might hurt your wallet!
There are varying schools of thought when it comes to growing autoflowering weed seeds. Some auto cannabis growers think the plants benefit from the period of rest with an 18/6. Other growers give them maximum light for as long as possible.
Pro tip: always do what works for you.
Auto strains are beginner-friendly. You still need to follow the basics of cannabis cultivation. These pointers should help you get the best from your autoflower harvest. We will expand these autoflower grow tips later in the article.
- Growing environment: Autos thrive in warm and dry conditions with temperatures ranging from 75 to 86°F. Relative humidity levels are best kept at 40 to 50% to prevent mold and mildew.
- Stress: Autos struggle to recover from stress or injury. When wounded, the plant's energy is focused on repair rather than growth. This is not good news for yields. Avoid high-stress training (HST) methods. Use low-stress training (LST) sparingly and very, very carefully.
- Autoflower nutrients: Autos are small plants that spend little time in the vegetative growth phase. They don’t need a lot of nutrients. Feed them lightly and go easy on the nitrogen.
- Harvest gradually: Harvest the buds sequentially by snipping the top colas first. Let the lower buds fully develop before harvesting next.
What soil should I use for autoflowering seeds?
Autoflowers prefer a lighter, more aerated soil than you would use to grow feminized photoperiod cannabis plants. Perlite is a fantastic way to improve drainage and airflow.
What is the optimal temperature and humidity to grow autoflowers?
Your grow room needs to be kept around 21°C (70°F) for the best results. Anything much higher or lower can lead to grow problems and plant stress.
Your autoflowers need relative humidity (RH) levels of 40–50%. This can be a little higher for young autoflowering plants. Once in flower keep the RH levels to 40%. This will reduce the risk of mold, mildew and stress.
What kind of nutrients do autoflowers need?
Buying autoflower weed seeds lowers the cost of your nutrients. Auto plants are smaller and less demanding than their feminized photoperiod cousins.
When using commercial cannabis nutrients give your autos around a half or a quarter of the recommended dose. Pre-fertilised commercial potting mixes are ideal. You won’t need to feed your autoflowering plant until the third or fourth week of growth.
What kind of water is best for autoflowers?
Autoflower seeds have different requirements to photoperiod feminized cannabis seeds. Auto flower plants are smaller and have a more compact root system. They need less water than larger feminized photoperiod plants.
The key is not to overwater. Allow the soil to almost dry between waterings. Cycling wet to dry is a good system for both autoflowering AND photoperiod plants.
Learn more: watch Kyle Kushman’s feeding and watering guide.
When growing autoflowers in soil the optimum pH level is 6.0 – 7.0. The pH level can be optimized for autoflowers by using natural products such as pH up and pH down.
Can you train Autoflowers?
Photoperiod cannabis plants love nothing more than High Stress Training (HST). Growers can employ plant training techniques such as super cropping, FIM, topping and defoliation to massively boost yields.
This is not a good idea for feminized autoflower plants. HST involves damaging the plant to make it grow back stronger. Autos do not have the time to grow back.
The only training that works with auto flowers is low-stress (LST). Bending branches to expose more bud sites is fine. Do not break the branches and do not cut or pinch any part of the auto cannabis plant.
What is the best way to germinate Autoflower seeds?
Germinating auto flower seeds follows exactly the same process as germinating feminized or regular cannabis seeds. Learn how to germinate autoflower seeds by watching our free germination guide.
How to plant Autoflower seeds?
Before planting your autoflowering cannabis seeds, you need to germinate them. The best germination method for autos is the same as for photos. Please see our full germination guide above.
When your auto flowering marijuana seeds have germinated it’s time to prepare your pots. Red solo cups are a great example of a small starter pot. Try to avoid using jiffy pellets as the roots will need space to grow.
Learn more: Let Kyle Kushman guide you through the full process of planting your seeds.
The first job is to fill the pots with your chosen soil. Leave an inch gap from the top to stop soil spilling out and water the soil in preparation. This is the only time you’ll water until the sapling appears. Watering while the taproot is still getting established can cause problems. It can displace the germinated seed.
Make a small indent in the soil with the tip of your finger, around a centimetre deep. As central as possible. Lower the seed into the hole with the taproot facing down and loosely cover the hole with soil. Leave it under your grow lamp for a few days. Soon it will pop up through the soil and spread its first leaves. After letting the sapling develop a little you need to transplant it to the final pot.
Tip: don’t let it establish itself too much, 6 days is the longest it should stay before transplant.
When you transplant autoflowers to their permanent home you’ll need to choose your pot size relative to flowering time. A two month (8 week) flowering time will need a 1.5 gallon pot. A three month (12 week) flowering period will need a larger, 3 gallon pot.
Again, fill the flowerpots with soil to within an inch or two from the top and water. Compact it a little if you want but not too much. Your plants need to expand their root ball and take oxygen and water from the soil.
The transplant process is the same for photoperiod seeds. Learn more by watching Kyle’s Beginner’s Guide to Transplanting.
Make a hole in the top big enough to fit both the roots and part of the trunk. When planted, you want 2 inches from the top of the soil to the first set of leaves. Water again once your transplant is complete but only around the edges of the pot.
Step by step guide to growing Autoflower seeds indoors.
Step 1: choose where to grow your autos.
How do you grow autoflower seeds indoors? It starts with deciding where to grow autoflower seeds indoors. Good options are tents, grow boxes, closets, maybe a spot by the window. Make sure you can grow cannabis legally and ensure the window spot gets lots and lots of sun.
Step 2: buy autoflowering seeds from Homegrown.
Healthy plants need strong, reliable genetics. This is guaranteed at Homegrown and we have the best autoflowering seeds for sale anywhere online.
Choose auto seeds according to flowering time and whether you prefer more indica or more sativa in your plants.
Step 3: decide on pots and growing medium for indoors.
Autos are fast cannabis plants. They will veg for around 2 to 4 weeks and then flip into flower. This leaves no time for any more than one transplant.
Your final pot should be no bigger than 3 gallons when growing autoflowers indoors. Your grow medium should be well-aerated and lightly fertilized. A good soil mix or coconut is ideal.
Step 4: choose your grow lamp
Cannabis growers have plenty of choice when it comes to lights. Metal Halides (MH) and High Pressure Sodiums (HPS) were the traditional market-leaders. LEDs are now the number one choice of cannabis lamp while CFLs are still a popular choice for the early stages.
Grow lamps play a MAJOR role when growing any kind of cannabis indoors. Learn more with Kyle Kushman’s beginner’s guide to choosing the best marijuana grow lights.
Planting feminized autoflowering seeds under LED lighting is extremely popular. LEDs are cheap to run. A big plus for growers who like to give their autoflowers 24 hours of continuous light.
They also run cool so you can put them closer to your plants. If you’re growing autos from seed the chances are you won’t have much space. Maybe LEDs are the popular choice for you, too?
HPS and MH lamps are also perfect for autoflowering marijuana seeds. They are hotter, more expensive to run and require more room than LEDs. But they’ll give your auto flowering seeds a brilliant chance of success.
You can grow autoflower indoors without lights, too. A sunny spot on a windowsill or in a conservatory will suffice. The sunnier your climate, the better your yields.
Step 5: germinate and plant your autoflowering seeds
We have covered these topics above but for even more information, please learn how to grow marijuana with Kyle Kushman. It’s free!
Step 6: plant care, cultivation and harvesting
The best way to care for your autoflowering cannabis plant is to water properly. Give it plenty of light and avoid stress. Make sure you don’t overdo it with the nutes and never subject your auto to HST.
If you have any questions or problems while growing autos from seed please register with our Homegrown community. You can ask your fellow growers and share your success here, too!
How to grow Autoflower seeds outdoors?
The advantages of growing autoflowers outside are considerable. Each and every plant that has ever evolved on planet earth has done so outdoors. Even ruderalis cannabis plants. Ruderalis genes evolved in the cold mountainous regions of Northern Russia. They are perfectly adapted to lower temperatures and fewer hours of sunlight.
Related article: explore the origins of autoflowers with this deep dive into autoflower seeds.
Let’s take a look at some very good arguments why you should grow your autoflower outdoors.
- Tough cookies: Despite their cold origins autoflower plants are mold resistant and autoflowering plants can thrive in humid conditions.
- Less space needed: the smaller size makes the autoplant inconspicuous.
- Improved yearly yield: the short flowering cycle permits you to harvest 2 or 3 times per season. The final yields of auto flowers are much better grown outdoors.
- Natural atmosphere: Natural levels of CO2 encourages better, healthier growth.
- Better plants: cannabis plants are bigger, better and tastier when grown outdoors, just ask Nikki and Swami.
Step by step guide to growing Autoflower seeds outdoors.
How do you grow Autoflower seeds outdoors? Sensible preparation.
Step 1: choosing your spot
The best place for autoflower plants will also be the best place for normal cannabis plants. The spot with the most sun and the least amount of adverse weather. It also needs to be locked, secure and out of sight of the general public.
Related article: Growing outdoors with Nikki and Swami.
Step 2: choose your autoflowering marijuana seeds
How do you buy outdoor autoflowering seeds with confidence when there are so many to choose from? You can split the answer into two main categories. How quickly do you want the harvest? What do you want or need in terms of flavor, effect etc?
The first part is easy, you look at the flowering time and take it from there. The fewer weeks in flower, the quicker the harvest.
Growers looking to maximize yields should check out our highest yielding autoflowering strains.
While autoflower growers looking for high-THC auto strains need look no further than our high-THC seeds collection.
The search tool on our homepage will help you narrow the parameters even further. It’s easy to find the best autoflower outdoor seeds for YOUR needs.
Step 3: growing auto flowering cannabis seeds in a pot or in the ground.
Outdoor growers can plant auto flower marijuana seeds in pots or directly into the ground. There are pros and cons to both options.
Growing autos in a pot. Pots are easy to move around. This is useful in areas vulnerable to flash floods and high winds. You can also move pots to the sunniest areas, depending on the time of day. One downside to pots is space. Roots might not get the room they need to fully develop. This could limit the overall growth of the plant.
Growing autos in the ground. If your aim is to grow a big autoflower plant then plant in the open ground. Your roots will be free to expand and the plant will grow as high as its genetics allow. Growing auto-flowers outdoors will better equip them to deal with a little wind or rain.
Related article: Growing cannabis in extreme hot, cold or humid conditions.
Step 4: choose your autoflowering medium for outdoor grows
The best type of soil for growing autoflowering weed outdoors will be light, airy and well-drained. Use a good-quality potting soil mix boosted with amendments like manure, compost and perlite.
Step 5: germinating and planting autoflower weed seeds
Whether growing cannabis indoors or outside, you should always germinate your seeds indoors. The same applies to your photoperiod or autoflower seed.
Step 6: growing and harvesting
Keep your auto flowers indoors for around 2 or 3 weeks. You then have the option of transplanting to a pot or direct into the earth. Follow the wet to dry cycle of watering and give them as much sunlight as possible. They will flip themselves into flower and grow beautifully right through to harvest.
Tips for growing healthy autoflowers outdoors
Growing auto flowers outdoors comes with risk. You have no control over the weather and little control over bugs and pests. Though there are steps you can take to help you grow autos outdoors successfully.
- Try growing autoflowers in a greenhouse: growing cannabis in a greenhouse is a great idea for autoflowering plants. They offer protection from the weather. They reduce the chance of top rot. They also protect against vermin. Related article: Growing weed in a greenhouse.
- Protect against pests and bugs: protect your autos by planting in a secure area and putting chicken wire around your plant. You can guard against bugs with companion planting and beneficial insects. Related article: the ultimate list of cannabis companion plants.
Autoflower Seeds: Frequently Asked Questions
How long does an Autoflower take?
Autoflower marijuana seeds will grow much faster than their photoperiod cousins. Some auto varieties can complete their entire cycle in around ten weeks. They usually spend around 2 to 4 weeks in the vegetative stage before flowering automatically.
Some autoflower weed seeds take longer than others but this usually means bigger yields. Our Haze XL Autoflower takes 12 - 14 weeks to complete but the yields are amazing.
Are Autoflowering seeds female?
If you buy feminized autoflowering seeds your plants have a 95 - 99% chance of being female.
How do you know if a seed is autoflowering?
Buy autoflowering seeds from a reputable seed store to make sure you get what you pay for.
Do Autoflowers produce seeds?
Autoflowering cannabis plants are just as capable of producing seeds as photoperiod cannabis plants.
What is the difference between autoflowering and feminized seeds?
Questioning the difference between autoflower weed seeds and feminized seeds is misleading. Growers can buy autoflower seeds feminized or regular, with feminized autoflowering seeds being the most popular cannabis strain category on site. Basically, cannabis seeds can be feminized AND autoflowering or regular AND autoflowering.
How To Get The Biggest Yields With Autoflowering Cannabis
This answer recaps what has already been discussed, but with a few extra autoflowering tips and tricks.
- Start autoflower plants in their final containers: you can sow your autoflowering feminized seeds directly into their final home. This will promote the early growth of a healthy root zone.
- Use bigger pots: for an experienced grower anything up to a five gallon pot is acceptable. The bigger the pot, the bigger the potential for growth.
- Use better pots: Healthy root systems mean healthier plants. Fabric pots will help prevent your cannabis plant becoming root bound which is better for their overall health and development. Fabric cannabis pots also prevent overwatering as they have incredibly good drainage.
- Optimize your grow medium: Adding perlite or coco coir helps aerate the soil, improving water and nutrient uptake.
- Use root stimulants: Beneficial fungi encourage nutrient uptake and enrich the root zone.
- Support your auto-flower plants: Keep your autos upright and healthy by using stakes or trellis.
- Light, light and more light: We have touched on this before. Many growers limit the light cycle to 18/6 but some plants are comfortable with 24 hours of light. Adapt to the limitations of your plant.
- Reverse osmosis water: Chlorine and fluorine can have a negative effect on your autoflowering plants. Reverse-osmosis water gives you control over mineral levels.
- Think about the nutes: Autoflowering feminized seeds do not need many nutrients. They love enzymes, beneficial fungi and vitamin B, but not much else when it comes to base nutrients. More than any other type of cannabis plant, less is more when it comes to planning a feeding schedule.
- Dial in your pH: Don’t be afraid to use off-the-shelf products to adjust the pH. The optimum zone is 6.0 to 7.0.
- Adjust climate for growth stage: Too many cannabis growers depend on the amazing resilience of autoflowering pot plants. Take the time to adjust humidity levels with the stage of growth.
- CO₂ is your friend: Well, it’s more of a friend to your auto plants. When growing marijuana autoflower seeds indoors a healthy boost of CO₂ has been proven to boost growth. Make sure you mimic nature and only add CO₂ during ‘daylight’ hours.
- Train your plants (but don’t stress them): There is a big difference between low and high stress training. The former is great for feminized autoflower seeds, the latter is not.
- Bending and tying stems to expose more buds to light is a non-invasive way to increase overall yield. This is about the limit of training for auto flowers.
- Use Sea of Green: Autoflowering weed plants LOVE a Sea of Green (SOG) set-up. Just like autoflowering cannabis, it’s a system that maximizes yields with minimal space. Related article: advanced techniques: the sea of green method.
- Progressive harvesting: Untrained plants will nearly always have more developed buds at the top of the plant. This is especially true with autoflowering cannabis plants. A good way to overcome this phenomenon is to use progressive harvesting. Harvest the highest buds when they are ready and let the lower buds enjoy longer periods under the lights. This could translate to a couple of weeks extra in the grow room but the higher yields will be worth it.
Keep records: Any master cannabis grower will tell you to make notes and document everything relevant to your grow. This will help you problem-solve and prevent issues. Taking notes will seriously improve your skills.
Where Can I Buy Cheap Autoflower Seeds?
You can find a great selection of autoflowering cannabis seeds at Homegrown Cannabis Co. We also have a fine choice of cheap cannabis seeds which means you needn’t worry about going over your budget. These are great value for money and include regular marijuana seeds and feminized seeds as well as auto seeds.
Choosing the best auto flowering seeds for sale can be challenging. Be sure to check out our weed seeds mixes that bundle 3 varieties in 1 inexpensive mix pack.
Which Are The Fastest Autoflowering Cannabis Genetics?
The marijuana strains listed below are our fastest autoflowering cannabis seeds. These autoflower cannabis seeds boast flowering times of 6 - 8 weeks. This means you should be able to harvest your weed plants in 7 weeks from seed to harvest.
You’re choosing high quality cannabis seeds AND the fastest growing marijuana seeds for sale.
- AK-47 Autoflower: The AK-47 marijuana strain has a high THC level of 20%. This sativa-dominant weed strain gives consumers a powerful relaxing high. With AK-47 marijuana seeds for sale as an autoflowering weed strain, you’ll be growing potent cannabis in no time.
- Northern Lights x Mazar Autoflower: An indica-dominant hybrid marijuana strain with high THC levels of 18%. It gives consumers a strong and euphoric high. This cannabis strain is quick and very easy to grow.
- Skunk Autoflower: A genuine classic weed strain now available as an autoflowering cannabis seed. Skunk is a hybrid autoflowering marijuana strain that delivers an uplifting and creative high.
- Blue Amnesia Autoflower: Blue Amnesia has a distinctive sweet taste and a high THC level of 18%. A hybrid marijuana strain with a good balance of sativa and indica traits. This autoflowering weed strain has an intense euphoric high.
- Fruit Autoflower: Fruit Auto is a cannabis strain favoured by connoisseurs because of its sweet taste and smell. It’s a simple marijuana strain that grows very quickly and produces high yields.
What Are Some Potent Auto-flowering Marijuana Strains?
Grow high THC marijuana in record time with our selection of autoflowering high thc seeds.
- Sour Diesel Autoflower: A legendary strain well-known for its strong smell and flavor. This autoflower strain is high in THC and easy to grow. A hybrid of sativa and indica with great sour flavors and a variety of psychoactive effects. It’s one of the best auto-flowers around.
- Gorilla Glue #4 Auto: Out of all our autoflowering cannabis seeds Gorilla Glue is one of the highest THC strains. Gorilla Glue is perfect for beginners making growing autoflowering cannabis easy. Gorilla Glue also has particularly high yields.
- Tangerine Autoflower: A sativa dominant hybrid which gets its name from its sweet and fruity flavour. This one is great for beginners and contains high THC levels.
- Banana Kush Auto: Those with a penchant for tasty strains will enjoy the rich tropical flavor and powerful body-centric high. It’s a great yielder and very easy to grow.
- Devil XXL Auto: Growers should expect heavy yields of aromatic buds in just 10 weeks. It appeals to even the most discerning connoisseurs with its intense euphoric effect perfectly balanced by a profound relaxing sensation.
What are the top 5 autoflowering seeds 2021?
- CBD Medi Gom Autoflower: A brand new edition for 2021. CBD Medi Gom is a medical marijuana miracle. It delivers medicinal cannabis with the golden 1:1 ratio in as little as 8 - 10 weeks from seed.
- Blackberry Autoflower: A delicious wild-berry flavor with an exciting euphoric headrush. This Blackberry is perfect for beginner growers and delivers delicious weed in just 6 - 8 weeks.
- Big Devil Autoflower: Ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight? This autoflowering strain delivers an exhilarating high and is one of our most popular autoflowering cultivars.
- Haze Autoflower: High THC. High Yields. Amazing flavors. This autoflower has consistently out-performed all newcomers. It’s the best auto strain every year.
- LSD Autoflower: We have been developing this auto for many years. Get ready to trip the light fantastic with this super psychedelic strain. You won’t find the same buzz anywhere!
Best Autoflowering Seeds USA
We have a great selection of award-winning strains now available as autoflowering cannabis seeds. These are the best autoflower seeds with the same great traits as their parent strains.
- White Widow Autoflower: White Widow is an award-winning strain with a legendary name. This auto means you can now produce great yields in less time. White Widow Autoflower is perfect for growing indoors and outdoors with a growth cycle lasting around 10 - 12 weeks.
- OG Kush Autoflower: Some of the best cannabis strains in the world are descended from OG Kush. By crossing the original OG Kush with Northern Lights Autoflower our breeders have created an amazing autoflowering strain. It boasts a high THC range of 24% and a grow time of only 10 - 12 weeks.
- Amnesia Haze Autoflower: By crossing Amnesia Haze with a ruderalis strain our breeders have created Amnesia Haze Autoflower. It has a growth time of 10 - 12 weeks and THC levels up to 23%. The unique musky aroma produced by this sativa-dominant strain makes it a must-have for marijuana growers.
Where to buy autoflower seeds usa?
Cannabis seeds can be bought either from walk-in stores or online cannabis seed stores. The latter gives customers several advantages. Access to a wide variety of weed strains and cannabis seeds. The convenience of being able to buy autoflower seeds from your home.
Not all online weed stores with autoflowering seeds for sale can be trusted. Choosing only reputable seed banks and sources is essential to buying top-quality weed seeds.
Homegrown Cannabis Co. is a prime example of a trustworthy and reliable seedstore offering nothing but the highest quality autoflower seeds for sale.
Our autoflower weed seeds are sourced from mother marijuana plants with stable genetics and the best traits. This gives our customers the best possible experience. It helps having the widest choice of autoflowering feminized seeds for sale.
Read our Homegrown cannabis reviews.
When buying marijuana seeds online you'll only need a US address and the ability to pay for cannabis seeds online. You can also purchase bulk orders of autoflower cannabis seeds for sale by visiting our wholesale page. We can provide up to 50,000 seeds of any available strain. Please ask about our high quality cannabis products today.
We also offer a great selection of Mix Packs available in packs of 9, 15, 30 and 45 seeds. Feel free to revisit us as often as you’d like to to add more marijuana seeds to your collection.
If you can’t find answers on our website, please reach out to our team on +1 (760) 313-7455. You can also use the ticket submission section in the bottom right of your screen.
Thank you for stopping by and shopping with America’s premium cannabis seed bank.