Space Cakes Recipes: How to Make Amsterdam Space Cake
Welcome, lucky readers. Today, we’re blowing the cobwebs from the Homegrown Cannabis Co. cookbook and sharing our best space cakes recipes with you.
Space cakes with weed are a fantastic, smoke-free way to enjoy the beneficial and pleasing effects of cannabis. Edibles allow people who otherwise won’t or can’t smoke to gain access to weed.
This classic mainstay of Amsterdam coffee shops has escaped the confines of the small Dutch city and spread worldwide. Easy to make and powerfully effective, we’ll show you how to create your own THC-loaded DIY space cake.
Get yourself comfy as we’ve got a lot to cover. Without further ado, let’s get straight to it, shall we?
What is space cake?
In principle, a classic space cake is a soft, spongy cake that’s deliciously sweet, high in calories, and packed with psychoactive THC. The basic recipe calls for a mix of flour, butter, sugar, milk, and eggs.
This basic sponge-cake template is endlessly versatile and can be adapted, enhanced, and experimented with. These recipes are diverse and varied, but they all share one thing; they pack a powerful, THC-infused punch and deliver a long-lasting, potent high.
Originating in the European Mecca of cannabis, Amsterdam space cakes were an iconic part of the bustling Dutch city’s coffee shop scene. For psychoactive pilgrims, trying space cakes in Amsterdam was a rite of passage.
Past visitors walking Amsterdam’s historic, narrow streets could sample these THC-loaded confections offered in nearly every coffee shop. Famous ones like Dampkring, The Grasshopper, and The Bulldog all offered a range of edibles.
Changing times means the status of Amsterdam as a hub for cannabis consumption is uncertain. While we can’t predict the future, we can show you how to make your own DIY space cakes.
Whatever happens, we’re certain that Amsterdam space cakes will remain a firm favorite among edibles fans. Making it is easy, infinitely customizable, and scalable to your skill in the kitchen.
We’ll start with the space cake effects before moving on to the actual recipes.
Space cakes effects
High levels of THC give space cake edibles their intoxicating effects. Users experience the same psychoactive compound, but its delivery method is entirely different.
THC is rapidly absorbed into the bloodstream when you smoke, producing equally rapid effects lasting for a couple of hours. When you eat activated weed, your body absorbs THC at a much slower rate. It effects take much longer to take hold, but the steady uptake of THC provides an extended high.
Space cake edibles fans report that eating to get high produces a distinctly different buzz than smoking. Most agree that the effects are more intense and psychedelic, with a pronounced body-high regardless of strain.
Altered sensory perception is common and can create an almost trippy experience. Fine visual details become fuzzy, colors pulse and vibrate, and sounds become crystal clear. With the correct dosage, space cakes effects are immensely enjoyable.
The steady, slow-release high provided by it is a double-edged sword. On the one hand, they provide hours of enjoyment in the right amounts. On the other, overconsumption can easily overwhelm the unfamiliar, leaving them unpleasantly high for what seems like an eternity.
It’s important to take it slow if it’s your first time eating Amsterdam space cakes. Forewarned, as they say, is forearmed, which leads us nicely into our next section.
How long does it take space cake edibles to start working?
Space cake effects can take a varying amount of time to affect users. Metabolism plays an important role in the uptake of ingested THC, and everyone is different.
Users with faster metabolic rates see effects coming on in a relatively short 30–60 minutes. Those with a slower metabolism may need to wait for 90–180 minutes.
Another factor that can affect how quickly it starts working is whether or not you’ve eaten recently. If you want your DIY space cake to take effect quickly, it’s best not to eat for a few hours beforehand.
It’s important to wait for the effects of Amsterdam weed cakes to take hold before eating more. This piece of advice holds regardless of your tolerance levels, but newcomers need to be especially careful.
Scoffing down a bunch of space cake edibles before feeling the effects is a bad idea. All the THC accumulates and hits like a never-ending freight train once your body starts absorbing it.
How long do the effects of space cake edibles last?
Its effects last considerably longer than effects gained from smoking or vaping cannabis. A strong dose of ingested THC provides hours of intoxicating effects.
The exact length of effects differs from person to person. A regular slice can last anywhere from three to ten hours. Even when the majority of the high has passed, subtle lingering effects remain throughout the day.
With such a long-lasting high, eating space cake edibles isn’t something you should do on a whim. Its effects require an entire day free of responsibilities, so plan ahead and make some time for these delectably delicious treats.
That’s the necessary cautionary advice out of the way. Let’s move on and look at everything you’ll need and, of course, how to make space cake.
Space cakes recipes
Ok, it’s time to start making space cakes. We’ll show you two basic recipes you can try; one using weed butter and one using activated weed. Other than making cannabutter, which we’ll show you how to do, the recipes are almost identical.
Our recipes serve eight people but feel free to double or half the ingredients for larger or smaller servings, respectively.
The entire process of making space cakes takes about two hours. You can speed this up by using pre-prepared cannabutter, but obviously, that requires its own time.
Space cake weed equipment
You’ll need the following implements and equipment for making space cakes:
- A large mixing bowl to mix the cake mix in.
- A whisk or electric mixer to mix the cake mix.
- An oven to bake the space cake edibles in.
- A microwave to melt your butter or cannabutter.
- A cake tray or tin to contain and shape your Amsterdam space cake.
- Greaseproof paper to line your cake tray with.
- A large mixing spoon or spatula to mix your ingredients.
- A weed grinder to grind your buds.
- A small bowl for melting your butter or cannabutter in.
- A skewer or chopstick to help you check when the space cake edibles are ready.
- A wire cooling rack to cool your baked cake.
With the equipment taken care of, let’s move on to the necessary ingredients.
Space cake weed ingredients
The ingredients needed for making space cakes are by and large easily obtained. You can find anything you don’t already have in your kitchen cupboard in any mid-sized store or supermarket.
Here are the ingredients you need to make enough edibles for eight people:
- 10 grams of cannabis. If using cannabutter, skip this ingredient.
- 3½ cups of 00 flour.
- Two cups of unsalted butter OR cannabutter.
- Two cups of brown or caster sugar.
- Four large whole eggs.
- 1½ cups of milk.
- A quarter-teaspoon of vanilla essence.
- Half a teaspoon of baking powder.
- Salt to taste.
- Additional ingredients to taste; chocolate chips, cinnamon, raisins, fruit, nuts, etc.
We’ve kept things plain and simple here, but feel free to alter our space cakes recipes to suit your tastes. We’ll give you some suggestions for variations on these recipes at the end of this section.
How to make weed butter
The best way to ensure an even distribution of THC in your space cakes recipes is to use weed butter or cannabutter, as it’s also known. Combining your weed with the fat-rich butter creates a THC-infused butter you can then use for making it.
If you’re following today’s recipe, use the amounts given in the ingredients section above. You can make larger batches of cannabutter and infuse them with more or less weed to suit your preferences.
Follow these seven simple steps to make your own batch of cannabutter:
- Use a double-boiler or make a simple bain-marie by placing a smaller pot into a larger pot half-filled with water.
- Place over a low heat, gradually bringing the water to a low boil. Add the butter to the inner vessel and allow it to melt.
- Take your weed of choice and grind it as finely as you can. Stir the ground weed into the melted butter.
- Allow the melted butter and bud mixture to simmer over the bain-marie for two hours gently. Remember to stir regularly and make sure the water in the outer vessel doesn’t boil away, burning your butter.
- Take the mixture off the heat after two hours have elapsed and the butter has taken on a greenish color.
- Strain out any particulate plant matter through a fine sieve or cheesecloth.
- Once the strained cannabutter has cooled down, place it in the fridge to solidify into a block of THC-infused butter.
You can use your completed cannabutter as you would regular butter, adding an intoxicating twist to any recipe.
How to make space cake with weed butter
Now that you know how to make cannabutter, let’s look at making Amsterdam weed cakes with it. Using pre-made weed butter saves you time decarbing weed and infusing it in regular butter whenever you want to make edibles at home.
With that said, let’s get down to business. Follow these ten easy steps to prepare and bake your DIY space cake:
- First, melt your cannabutter in the microwave or over a low heat.
- Add the melted butter to the mixing bowl with the sugar, milk, eggs, and vanilla essence.
- Mix the ingredients with a whisk or mixer until it’s well combined and slightly frothy.
- Next, add the flour and baking powder to the mixture along with a pinch of salt if desired.
- Mix again, making sure the cake batter is consistent and free of lumps. If you’re using additional ingredients like chocolate chips, dried fruit, or nuts, add them now.
- Add a little more milk, if your mixture seems too stiff. If it’s too runny, add some additional flour.
- Take your cake tin or tray, and line it with greaseproof cooking paper. This prevents the cake from sticking to the tray.
- Pour the space cake mix into the tray, making sure to distribute the mix evenly in the tray.
- Place the full cake tray into a preheated oven for about 45 minutes at 330–340°F.
- After 45 minutes, check if the cake is cooked by piercing it with a skewer or chopstick. If the skewer comes out clean, your DIY space cake is ready. If not, give it another 5–10 minutes in the oven.
Your Amsterdam weed cake is ready to eat as soon as it’s cooled down a little. This basic cake can be iced, or other decorations added as you wish.
How to make space cake with weed
If you don’t have the time to make a batch of cannabutter, you can still make space cake edibles. You’ll follow the same recipe as above, with some minor changes.
To make space cake edibles this way, you’ll need to first decarb your weed. Decarbing or decarboxylation transforms the inactive THCA in your cannabis into psychoactive THC.
To decarb your weed, follow these simple steps:
- Take your desired dosage of buds and grind them as finely as you can.
- Line a baking tray with aluminum foil and spread out your ground buds on the tray.
- Place the tray in a preheated oven for an hour at no higher than 235°F.
Once you have fully activated your weed through decarboxylation, simply add it to the butter in the first step of the above recipe. You can then follow the rest of the recipe as normal.
Space cake recipe variations
The space cakes recipes you’ve learned today produce moist, melt-in-your-mouth spongy space cakes that are delicious eaten as is.
The beauty of DIY space cakes is that you can really make them your own. You can take our basic recipe above and adapt it endlessly to create a personalized recipe.
Here are a few suggestions you can try to jazz up your space cake edibles:
- Add some cocoa powder and dark chocolate chips for a decadent chocolate space cake.
- For a spicy spin, add a small dash of cinnamon powder or cardamom to your cake mix.
- Make a fruity sponge sandwich by slicing your cake and adding your favorite jam or preserve between two slices. We love the tangy taste of marmalade with a chocolate Amsterdam space cake.
- Why not ice your cake with a cannabutter icing for a double dose of edible ecstasy if you want to get fancy.
These are just a few simple ideas for different takes on the classic Amsterdam space cake; we strongly suggest you experiment. Your options are only limited by your skill and creativity in the kitchen, so roll up your sleeves and get cooking!
Strains to use for truly authentic Amsterdam space cakes
You can use any kind of weed you’d like in these space cakes recipes, so the choice is yours. High-THC strains will naturally make for more powerful effects. It’s also a good idea to use a strain with an appealing flavor profile.
If you want some specific suggestions, we’ve got you covered. Here are our favorite strains that make for devilishly delicious space cake edibles.
Sativa strain suggestions
For an Amsterdam space cake with an electrifying high and a zinging citrus flavor, why not try Super Lemon Haze in your space cakes recipes.
Super Lemon Haze Feminied contains a massive 23% THC that delivers an uplifting and euphoric sativa-heavy buzz. Its tart lemon flavors would pair well with a lemon-flavored DIY space cake.
Indica strain suggestions
For a supremely relaxing experience rich with a decadent chocolate aroma and a nutty coffee flavor, check out Mochalope Regular.
This strain contains up to 25% THC, so watch your intake. Its coffee and chocolate qualities are perfect in a similarly flavored space cake recipe.
CBD strain suggestions
You can easily make a non-psychoactive, CBD-heavy DIY space cake. Medicinal users can enjoy the therapeutic benefits of CBD without the long and intense high of regular space cake edibles.
A strain like CBD Blueberry Feminized is the perfect addition to a medicinal space cake. This strain contains just 1% THC and a whopping 16% CBD, along with a blueberry flavor that’s sure to please.
A classic easy-to-make space cake
We hope you’ve enjoyed learning how to make space cake as much as we’ve enjoyed sharing our space cakes recipes.
The basic DIY space cake we’ve shown you today is a breeze to make. With minimal effort, you can whip up a crowd-pleasing, psychoactive dessert using some quality buds and everyday ingredients.
Space cakes with weed and edibles, in general, are a great alternative to smoking or vaping. Eating to get high provides a way for people who can’t or won’t smoke to join in the fun. It’s also a better option for medicinal patients who may be unable to smoke.
If you’ve enjoyed taking this epicurean expedition with us, why stop now? For more captivating recipes and cannabis cookery, head directly to Homegrown Cannabis Co. and browse our blogs today.